Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving, Black Friday & the Ghost Town

Alyssa had her 2nd grade musical 2 days before Thanksgiving. She was obviously an Indian and did such a good job saying her part..."This song is called the Corn Grinding song." Way to go Lulu...you are amazing!!!
Yes, my daughter is the only one in her class wearing a striped shirt...they were supposed to be in solid blue...at least my daughter was easy to pick out of a crowd!

The kids all helped decorate our gingerbread tree...the next day while the girls were all at school, I rearranged all of the decorations...shhh, don't tell!
Brooklyn had a cookie and pie contest at school and so my mom showed us how to make these cookies. Brooklyn won 2nd place...Thanks Grandma!
This is one of my other trees that is off limits to the kids. Hunter just couldn't keep his hands off the ornaments. Why can't kids just look with their eyes?!!!
Unfortunately I don't have any GREAT pictures from Thanksgiving dinner. My parents, my sister Kristi and her family, and my brother Ryan and his family all stayed at my house for the weekend. You may be wondering why my brother Ryan is getting his Thanksgiving dinner buffet style...and why he is using a paper plate. While we were waiting for the turkey to cook, Rob turned the TV to the horse racing channel. While we sat in anticipation for the Hollywood horse race to begin, each adult picked 1 of the 9 horses that they wanted to win. Everyone had to have a different horse and the top 3 winners had the prize of not having to clean up Thanksgiving dinner. We all sat there cheering our horses on like we had a lot of money at stake. In the end, the only horse that wasn't picked came in first, mine (Built for Thederby) came in second, and my dad's came in third. After that the adults all made a collective decision to remove my china from the table and replace their plates with paper ones. We then all decided that buffet style would be nice as well. Unfortunately, I didn't actually get out of doing the dishes...at least I had help though:) When the time came to carve the turkey, we carved piece after piece and only exposed dark brown meat with a lot of bones. How many adults does it take to carve a turkey??? Well, this Thanksgiving it took 8. After we almost threw the whole turkey away, I said, "Are you sure it isn't upside down?". Once we turned it over, it was perfect. I'm glad I'm the smart one in the family...I always have been:)!!!
All of my kids worship my niece Mckinzie...Hunter is no exception!
All of the kids took turns doing a pyramid...thanks to help from Aunt Stephanie who coaches cheer:)
The Clark grand kids (some of them anyway)
Who do you think is manlier? Hunter, right? Once again Hunter won most of the "man-tests" that were administered by Uncle Ryan. I will tell about one when I blog about Hunter's early birthday party.
On Black Friday we started the day by going to Oreganos. Yummy!!!
We then got free pictures with Santa at Bass Pro Shop. I'm glad we took our camera because our pictures turned out a lot better than the free one.
The kids love this store almost as much as Rob does. Rob has taught them well!
Rob and the kids outside of Bass Pro Shop
On Saturday we went to Gecko Grill for lunch and then drove out to the Goldfield Ghost Town. This is Rob and Hunter waiting to go on the train. Aren't the Superstition Mountains gorgeous?!!!
The kids in a mining cart
Wouldn't this be nice for time out?
The girls are sitting next to a cowboy that is about to be shot in the shoot out. The girls thought he was pretty freaky!
These actors take their roles very seriously! All of the kids were scared to see them get shot, and they were very relieved when everyone stood up when it was all over.
Our final stop was panning for gold.There was a whole lot of "fool's gold" in these pans...Good thing the girls didn't hear that part of the demonstration. They thought it was all real...apparently Rob and Steph did too-see below...
This started as Gracie's pan but was quickly taken over by Rob and Steph...nice!Hunter loved just being a boy with Cooper and Grandpa...they threw rocks the entire time the girls (and Rob) panned for gold.
This picture was just so cute, I had to include it. Alyssa is my one kid that I never have to ask to do her homework or read her books. I love that!!!
Stay tuned for Rob's Christmas lights...

5 comments:

Courtney said...

What a FUN week you guys had! I'm still laughing about you family bet over the dishes... too funny!

Seeing those pictures of the Ghost Town totally brought back memories... I now remember going there! :)

Stephanie said...

What a great week you had!! Arizona is the best place to be around this time of year! Love and miss you guys!
Steph

Leslie said...

I just want everyone to know that For the record, Amy and Rob did the turkey. I wouldn't have put it in upsidedown! And if I remember correctly, I was the first to say that I thought maybe it was upsidedown when Amy and Rob were trying to figure out why the meat looked so wierd. It turned out wonderful though and we had a GREAT THANKSGIVING. THANKS AMY AND ROB! Miss you guys.

Debbie said...

We did bass pro shop too with our company! They had fun stuff going on..
Did you make any necklaces yet?
Maybe we need to have a necklace makaing day again!

Kahananui said...

How fun!!! We wish we could have been there with you guys. I remember going to that ghost town with you guys when I stayed with you, it was fun. Those cookies are adorable and I LOVE your Christmas trees. I also have a hard time getting Jax to not play with ours. Hopefully he'll learn :). I'm glad you guys had a good Thanksgiving weekend. Hopefully we can all get together next year!