Monday, December 8, 2008

Rob and his Christmas Lights

My dad likes to write funny poems about the people in our family. Here is the lastest one that he wrote about Rob...

Flying into AZ in the middle of the night,
The pilot came on and warned us of a an apparent meteorite
As he came in for a landing at the airport runway,
The town was lit up as if it were noon-day.

We raced to Rob’s house at a tremendous clip,
And arrived thinking we’d ended up at the Las Vega strip.
So we turned onto Amy’s street named Boca
And saw the whole town outside doing the polka.

It was a little strange seeing Rob move among the masses,
Handing out the OSHA required sunglasses.
And I was surprised when the Mayor gave me permission,
To enter Rob’s street only after the price of admission.

I noticed that on the door now shaped like the Eiffel Tower,
Was a letter from the Head of Phoenix Water and Power.
Stating any future Christmas decorations would be banned,
Until federal funding was approved for a dedicated damn.

And the airport manager had written a letter sternly worded
Informing Rob that due to the light air traffic had been diverted.
Then over the news came a NASA statement none to subtle
Complaining the light was blinding the crew of the space shuttle.

But the ultimate happened with a call from Barack Obama,
Who had seen the glow while flying over Oklahoma.
Saying “Anyone who can eclipse solar power this far,
Has to be appointed as my new Energy Czar.

Well we were notified Rob’s freedom was at significant risk,
And we were bluntly told this was no gist.
The FBI was worried Rob might become an Iranian Capture
Assigned to develop their nuclear reactor.

Well his project took about nine months gestation,
Rob, this isn’t the movie Christmas Vacation.
At this point Amy sat down and start to bawl,
“My husband has turned into Clark Griswald.

But sadly Rob’s decorations created what became a real mess,
When Santa took off from the North Pole he sent out an S.O.S.,
And the newspaper headlines on the very next day,
Reported no presents were delivered cause Santa had lost his way...

Rob, you have sure come a long way from that day that you sat on the roof of our 1-story house in Utah for 2 hours without moving a muscle. You were soooo scared I almost had to call the fire department to help you get down. I can't believe how you can now walk around on top of our 2-story house!!! I am loving the lights this year because even though we have a few more, I can actually vacuum my house without tripping the circuit breakers. It even rained last night and didn't short anything out...Way to go Rob!!! The picture above of the lights may not be Rob's final product this year...he keeps going to the store to buy more lights. Our friend Steve has offered to take away Rob's ladder so that he doesn't add any more lights...Steve, maybe I will have to take you up on that offer. Either that, or I can just let all of the neighbors borrow it:) Anyone need a ladder???

5 comments:

{jennifer} said...

Wow! Your yard and house look great - Rob can offically help plan the Temple lights now. Your house looks like it has almost as many, that must have teken him forever. I am having anxiety just looking at that picture with Rob on the very top of your house!!!! AHHHH! Your dad's poem is funny - he is a creative guy.

Natalie said...

Holy lights. I'm glad your family is making up for our lack of holiday motivation; we don't have a single light outside because I'm too chicken to get on the roof (at least Rob attempted it...I gave up before even beginning). I'm sure your kids are crazy about all the festive illumination. That's what makes Christmas so magical. Is Rob's new nickname "Sparky"?

Courtney said...

I think Rob won't stop until his house is "Seen from Space!!" I'm just wondering if he has an extension cord secretly going to his neighbors house?!? Maybe thats why you can vacuum this year!! ;)

That poem was TOO funny! I'm impressed... that was so creative!

Leslie said...

I love the poem and the lights, and I too remember the year Rob was stuck on the roof with fear. You forgot to mention that Christmas carols play outside your house nonstop too. It is an amazing sight.

Kahananui said...

Those lights are amazing! I can see Rob is almost as obsessed with Christmas lights as he is with fireworks! I still remember that year that you had just moved into your house and you and I held onto a bar stool through the window while Rob put up the Christmas lights....I'm glad you guys got a ladder! :) They look great though!