Sunday, May 25, 2008

What is Memorial Day?

Support Our Troops!!!



In years past, I have spent Memorial Day doing the following:

Enjoying Rob's day off of work
Having a BBQ
Doing yard work
Mourning family members that have died

And the list goes on...

I have been guilty of forgetting the real reason that we celebrate Memorial Day. We are supposed to be honoring those men and women who have died serving our country. Luckily, I don't know anyone who has died in the military, but I do (for the first time) have a brother who is a marine. He isn't at war yet, but will be soon:( I hope that we can all take a moment to pray for those who have died and bless those who are now serving. If you would like to email Dave, click the link to the right. These guys give up everything to protect our freedoms! He has only seen his wife and 1 year old daughter once since Feb, he gets paid very little and never complains...all this because he loves his country. I love you Dave!

4 comments:

Natalie said...

This post made me cry...and it isn't because I'm post-partum. I am also very proud of Dave and think the sacrifice he and others make to serve our country is remarkable. Thanks for the poignant reminder to be thankful for all of soldiers' service. I love the picture of Dave and Alyssa; it's so cute/handsome/cool! Happy Memorial Day!

Kahananui said...

This also made me cry! It's so hard to think of our brother going out and putting his life on the line for our freedom...but I know how much it means to him and what a great thing it is for him to do. I'm so proud of him. I never fully appreciated all that our soldier's do for us until Dave joined the Marines. I will always celebrate Memorial Day in a much more meaningful way from now on. Thank you so much for posting this. Dave is such an amazing person and I'm so grateful to have such a selfless brother who would give up so much for his country. We love you Dave and are so proud of you! We're also so proud and thankful for all the other soldiers out there and their families who are also sacrificing so much.

{jennifer} said...

Your brother looks so grown up in his uniform! I am so grateful for this beautiful land that we live in and for all the people that serve and protect our freedom. Thanks to people like Dave we are able to live our lives the way we choose to and for that I am forever thankful.

Em said...

Amy-- That was such a nice post with a great reminder for all of us. Thank you! Our thoughts and prayers are with David and his family.