Monday, February 9, 2009

Lemons are WAY Underpriced, Church Basketball and BBQ in the Rain

I never realized how hard it is to grow lemons...until now. For the last 2 years our citrus trees have been completely unproductive. We have used Miracle Grow, but we still didn't get anything. The first and second years that we had our Mexican Lime trees, we got bunches of limes. What are we doing wrong? We only got 1 lemon this year...that is right, one. Ashley was the lucky one that got to pick it off the tree. It was sad to pick this lonely lemon that we have spent so many hours admiring. :( We are now trying to deep water as well as continue watering with our sprinklers (thanks to the tip from Derek Richey). If anyone has any other tips, please give them to me!!!

Our orange tree gave us 6 oranges this year. Alyssa was the lucky one that got to pick the last orange. I will say, these were the juiciest oranges I have ever eaten. I don't know if it is because we grow incredible oranges, or if we were just so proud of ourselves for growing fruit on our tree this year, that we would've loved them no matter how they tasted.

For church basketball this week, our new ward played the ward that we were just split from. Rob took a little heat for having his wife also cheering for the opposing team. This is all I got of Rob's free throw shots because of a noisy man on the other team distracting Rob (and I) during his shot. The man is pictured below this picture...Many of you may recognize him:) He kept yelling to Rob while he was trying to concentrate on his free throw, "Hey Rob, look at your wife...she is trying to take your picture!"...over and over again.
That's right...the noisy man was Pete Malo. I want to know why the ref didn't call a technical?!!!When it wasn't Pete distracting Rob, then it was our dentist, Eric...Come on guys! Don't you know I have a blog?!!! I have to take pictures of EVERYTHING!
In the end, our new ward lost big time to our old ward:( At least it was entertaining to watch!
Yesterday we decided to BBQ hamburgers before church. As soon as Rob fired up the grill, it began to rain and hail. I had to take this picture through the window in the kitchen because I thought he looked kind of silly barbecuing with an umbrella:) Whenever Rob makes his yummy hamburgers (and they are very yummy), he always makes an extra one in case "something happens". I have always laughed at the logic behind that, and maybe this is why yesterday was the first time he made only enough for each of us...no extras. Well, since it was raining, our newly stained and sealed sidewalk was very slippery. Rob sent Ashley (my 5 year old) in the house carrying my hamburger. As she was running in the house, she slipped on the wet sidewalk, and my yummy burger fell off the plate she was carrying, and landed on the wet sidewalk that was covered in bird droppings that had just washed off the roof due to all of the rain. (Anyone have any ideas on getting rid of birds?) Seriously, why my hamburger?!!! So, since we didn't have an extra one (the only time that we haven't), Rob and I had to share our "Sunday dinner" with each other. I imagine next time Rob will revert back to his old ways of always preparing for the unexpected. Lucky for me our meal was something that was "splittable" for my germaphobe husband!:)

4 comments:

Courtney said...

~ my mom has 100's of lemons and oranges, I always hear her talk about cross polinating?!? I don't know... I can ask her for you.

~ Leave it to Pete to try to mess up the game... I thought for sure it was going to be Ryan! You are a good wife for going and supporting...AND you were taking pictures! :)

~next time I drive by and can smell hamburgers I'm going to stop by... since I now know there will be an extra one! :)

Kyle said...

That is so funny...an extra hamburger just in case! Sorry yours got dropped!
I am CRAVING fresh squeezed lemonade and really wish I had a lemon tree so I could make some...I guess I shouldn't come to your house for some lemons :)

Natalie said...

We'll definitely be there for the barbecue this Sunday. :) Those burgers look delish and I'm so sorry that yours was the one that fell on the ground (just a mom's luck, huh?). I love to read your blog and I laughed so hard about Rob's freethrow experience.

Kahananui said...

Cute new blog!! I had no idea lemons were so hard to grow. I wish I had that motivation to grow things...I'd just so much rather go to the store. That's too bad about the burger. I'm surprised Rob actually shared with you! Your family is too cute!