Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Ragnar Relay, Newport Beach & Disneyland

This weekend I ran my first race...the Ragnar Relay Los Angeles. 12 of us made up our team called the Village People (named that because we all live in the Villages). We started our route in Santa Barbara and ended in Dana Point. There is no prettier place to run than along the Pacific Coast Highway...Why do I live in the desert???I was the unlucky runner that had 2 out of 3 of my legs cut because of permit issues with cities along the route. I was originally supposed to run 12.5 miles and was suddenly cut down to 3.5. So, I doubled up with my friend Rebecca on one leg, and then our van of 6 people ran our own leg at the Santa Monica Pier. I ended up running 12 miles...I am so proud of myself by the way!!!
We had so much fun running together! I was on the best team, and we all enjoyed being entertained by Wayne and Ryan:) After running so many miles and only sleeping for 2 hours in 2 days, we all got a little delirious...especially Wayne:)
I have never seen so many grown men act like school boys as I did at the finish line. Especially my paparazzi husband that took many photos like this one. Do you recognize the girl in the black sweatshirt? Every man on my team did..."Kelly" from Saved By the Bell. They were all trying to one up the other on who got to get close enough to touch her and who got the best picture of her...sorry "Kelly".
We all ran into the finish line together...I'm not entirely sure why I was the last one in. It was either because I had Ashley running in with me (even though even she is ahead of me), or because my legs were too sore to move any faster. Our van got to the finish line before everyone else, so we were all able to get some well needed massages...I guess mine wasn't long enough!
I have no idea what we placed, but we had a blast!!! I'm ready for another one!
We had a rental car for our van, so this was the extent of our car decor...You should have seen some of the crazy vans other teams had!
I brought this ice pack for my legs, but Alyssa ended up needing it more than I did.
When we were sitting in the hot tub at our hotel after the race, Alyssa decided to swim across the hot tub. Apparently she didn't have her eyes open because she hit the other side...Check out her goose egg!
Since my family was nice enough to meet me in California after the race, we were able to spend the next few days at the Hyatt in Newport Beach. When I signed up to do this race, Rob had desperately tried to keep from going out of town so that he could babysit. Knowing that my mom had a hysterectomy 8 days before I had to leave for L.A., Rob found out 2 days before my departure that he was going to have to be in Maine. As we frantically searched for babysitting options, my mom said she would come down to babysit...Thanks Mom! Poor Rob has been in 4 different time zones in the last week. Despite Rob and I being sleep deprived, we still had lots of fun.
After Rob and Brooklyn played tennis, we all played ping-pong in the courtyard of the hotel. Hunter kept trying to steal the girls ping-pong balls:)
Rob and Alyssa
After eating lunch at a yummy Mexican restaurant (El Terasco), we headed to the pier to watch the surfers.
Brooklyn found a crab that had been partially eaten but was still alive. I'm not sure why she will hold a crab...minutes earlier at the Mexican restaurant, I had to pay she and Ashley $10 to eat a piece of shrimp...They both gagged from the moment the shrimp entered their mouth, until the moment it was swallowed.
Rob and the girls playing jump rope with a piece of sea weed
Ashley scaring away a flock of sea gulls
The kids playing in the sand
We also spent a day at Disneyland. This is Hunter with his glasses on for the 3D Bugs Life movie...Which he didn't like very much!
He did however, like the Pixar parade at California Adventures. Anyone who knows Hunter knows his love of cars. He LOVED this parade!
The girls said their favorite part of the parade was seeing how excited Hunter got when he saw Lightening McQueen...so cute!
And finally...Mater:)
We even took the train all the way around Disneyland this time...Hunter enjoyed the train, but he HATED the dinosaurs...He isn't much on being a tough guy!

6 comments:

Kyle said...

Good for you Amy! Looks like a fun trip!

{jennifer} said...

Congrats on doing your 12 miles and most importantly liking it! Poor Alyssa and her goose-egg! Ouch! I thought you were going to say she fell off the bed again. And your mom is a TROOPER for coming down 8 days after her surgery!

Kahananui said...

That last pic of you and Hunter is adorable! We can't wait to see you all. I'm so proud of you, Amy! That's awesome. It makes me want to start, you've inspired me. :) You look great! Disneyland looks like it was a blast. I seriously can't believe how big and BEAUTIFUL your girls are getting, and Hunter is as handsome as ever.

Courtney said...

I'm still SO impressed you ran the whole thing! That is GREAT! Sorry again about Ryan trying to get you to run a scary part... go figure! Im glad you guys had fun at Disneyland! :)

Em said...

Wow! Well done! That is impressive! I didn't know you were a runner!

Debbie said...

That looks like a blast! I am proud of you!! :)